Transfer Talk: Is Fabregas set to follow Higuain to Arsenal?

We run through the latest talking points in world football and which stars could be on the move this summer

This week’s episode of Transfer Talk examines the ins and outs at Old Trafford, but while David Moyes starts his reign at Manchester United, is a famililiar face returning to Arsenal?

Arsene Wenger looks to tie-up their deal for Gonzalo Higuain, after Juventus – rivals for his signature – completed a deal for Carlos Tevez. Meanwhile, there’s significant movement at Tottenham, with the club set to announce the signing of Paulinho – but will David Villa be wearing Spurs’ colours too next season?

To discuss these and all the other rumours and whispers, Matt Lorenzo is joined by Goal‘s Peter Staunton and former Manchester United defender David May as we go through the latest talk from the transfer market.

Remember, to pose a question to next week’s panel, leave your comment below, or Tweet us by using the hashtag, #askgoal

Hummels happy Dortmund did not win Champions League

The Germany international has surprisingly admitted that the 2-1 loss to die Roten at Wembley did not hit him as hard as he expected it to

Mats Hummels claims he is over Borussia Dortmund’s Champions League final defeat, and says it’s “a nice thing” that Jurgen Klopp’s men have been made to wait a little longer to realise their childhood dreams.

The Germany international explained that he feels the 2-1 loss to their Bavarian rivals will ensure that die Schwarzgelben will retain the same kind of hunger and desire that drove them all the way to Wembley in May.

“I have found that, for me, it did not really hit me as hard as I initially thought it would,” Hummels said of the defeat in an interview with GQ.

“After a season in which we played in the final of the Champions League, I do not even have the feeling of having lost something.

“It would have been almost too crass if we had the got to the Champions League final and won it.

“All of the things I’d dreamt about as a child would have come to pass just a little bit too soon. So, I think it’s a nice thing to have to chase it a little longer.”

The 24-year-old joined Dortmund – initially on loan – from Bayern five years ago and was at the centre of controversy last week for claiming Mario Gotze’s move from BVB to the Bavarians was financially motivated.

Fiorentina to snap up Gomez, claims agent

The 27-year-old looks set to swap Germany for Italy this summer, as the forward’s representative claims his client will join the Viola

Fiorentina are on the verge of completing a deal to sign Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez, according to the player’s agent.

Speculation has intensified in recent days over where the Germany international will be plying his trade next season, with the forward’s representative, Uli Ferber, stating recently that his client favours a move to Italy.

The Viola are reportedly leading the chase for the wantaway striker and Ferber confirmed Stadio Artemio Franchi is a probable destination for the 27-year-old.

Speaking to Sport1, he said: “Mario is heading toward Fiorentina, but nothing has been signed as of yet. That is all I can say.”

The former Stuttgart forward has fallen out of favour at the Allianz Arena, with Croatia international Mario Mandzukic the hitman-of-choice for Jupp Heynckes during his final year with the club.

Gomez, whose contract with the Bavarians runs until 2016, has netted 113 times in 174 appearances for the champions of Europe since his move from Stuttgart in 2009.

Gotze reveals Hummels apology

The Germany international says his now former club team-mate has said sorry for criticising his move to the Allianz Arena

Mario Gotze has revealed Mats Hummels has apologised for questioning his move to Bayern Munich after he was unveiled by the Bavarians on Tuesday.

The 21-year-old’s decision to leave Borussia Dortmund and join arch-rivals Bayern, after the Bundesliga champions met his €37 million release clause, sent shockwaves through German football back in January.

And though the dust has settled somewhat in the months that have passed, that didn’t stop BVB centre-back and Gotze’s now former team-mate Mats Hummels from suggesting the move was motivated by money last Thursday.

However, the midfielder insists their relationship remains a good one and was keen to put the matter to bed as he was presented to the media.

“I read what was said. Mats apologised to me in person. There is nothing more to add,” he told reporters.

Gotze’s arrival sees him become coach Pep Guardiola’s first signing at the Allianz Arena since taking over from predecessor Jupp Heynckes.

And he admitted he has already spoken to the Spaniard, while adding that the allure of joining the treble winners was just too great to resist.

“He [Guardiola] asked me how I am and when I will be fit again and if I feel comfortable here. It was important to me, to speak with the coach for the first time,” he continued.

“I am just happy to be here. Sportingly, it is the right way for me. It was important to me, to start something new. It is the whole package.”

The Germany international was forced to sit out the Champions League final between now former employers Dortmund and Bayern because of a hamstring injury, with Gotze targeting a swift return to action.

“I have do adapt to new surroundings, new team-mates, a new coach and a different philosophy. First, I have do do my rehabilitation. Then it is my claim to reach goals with this team and play good football.”

Gotze has signed a four-year-deal with Bayern until the summer of 2017.

Still no acceptable bid for Gomez, insist Bayern Munich

The club insist they have not yet agreed terms with another side over the potential sale of the striker, despite reports that a move to Fiorentina is close

Bayern Munich sporting director Matthias Sammer has revealed the club are still waiting to receive an acceptable offer for striker Mario Gomez.

Reports had suggested Serie A side Fiorentina were on the brink of sealing an €18 million deal for the forward, with personal terms said to be agreed on a four-year contract worth around €4.6m-per-year.

However, Bayern have refuted those claims and insist they have yet to receive an offer that matches their valuation of the former Stuttgart player.

“As of now the club have not received a bid which we are satisfied with for Gomez,”  Sammer said to SID.

If a development does not arrive within the next two days, Gomez will travel with Bayern’s squad to a training camp in Trentino on Thursday as planned.

The Germany international has enjoyed a prolific spell with the Bavarians, scoring 75 goals in 115 Bundesliga games for the club.

Despite being contracted with the German champions until the summer of 2016, Gomez is expected to move during this summer’s transfer window after losing his regular starting place to Croatian Mario Mandzukic last season.

Sammer also dismissed reports linking the Champions League winners with a swoop for Chelsea and Brazil defender David Luiz but did not rule out more arrivals in the weeks ahead.