The Bayern Munich man’s representative says he was the focus of unfair attention after he withdrew from his country’s World Cup squad due to injury
Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery’s agent has revealed why his client retired from international duty with the France national team, but has suggested he could return to Les Bleus for Euro 2016.
The 31-year-old was initially included in his country’s squad for this summer’s World Cup in Brazil, but was ultimately forced to miss the tournament due to a back injury.
The winger then hit out at claims from national team doctor Kevin Le Gall that he had refused treatment because he was scared of needles, questioning the advice he had been given by Les Bleus’ medical department.
He then announced his retirement from the national side on August 13, saying he wanted to concentrate on his club career and spending time with his family.
“He made the decision because there were constant debates about him,” Jean-Pierre Bernes told L’Equipe.
“After his World Cup exit he was told that he is afraid of needles… that Les Bleus play better without him. When you hear that, it puts you in a negative frame of mind.
“Franck is an emotional person. I am convinced that his decision is the right one.
“There is no secret agreement with [France coach Didier] Deschamps that Franck will return,” he added.
The 57-year-old did hint, however, that the star could be persuaded to return for the European Championship in his homeland in 2016.
“Franck will be emotional in two years,” he went on. “Since all progress made has to do with emotions, we will see what happens on the big day. [But] today he only cares about the present.”