Ancelotti: I love Ronaldo, but he's not joining Bayern

The Bavarian side’s new coach says he cannot imagine the Portuguese attacker ever leaving Real Madrid, and feels the same way about Thomas Muller at Bayern

Carlo Ancelotti says there is little chance Cristiano Ronaldo will leave Real Madrid for Bayern Munich.

Ancelotti enjoyed a close relationship with the Portugal international during their time together at the Santiago Bernabeu, but the Italian believes Ronaldo would not leave the Champions League holders to reunite with him at Allianz Arena, even if an unlikely offer arrived from the Bundesliga heavyweights.

“I love Ronaldo’s professional attitude,” Ancelotti told Bild.

“Journalists often ask me how difficult it is to work with players like him and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but it is really easy. You don’t have to tell these kinds of players anything. They are very disciplined and focused.

“Something can always happen in football, but it is very hard to see a player like Ronaldo at another club.


GOALREAD MORE  | WATCH: Mario Gotze transfer factfile


“The same goes for players like Lionel Messi, Philipp Lahm, Thomas Muller and Paolo Maldini, who played his entire career at Milan. Players like them simply cannot leave their clubs. They care too much about the clubs the play for.”

Ronaldo won Euro 2016 with Portugal on Sunday, his team beating France 1-0 after extra-time despite the captain being forced off through injury in the first half at Stade de France.

The Madrid star’s rival Messi indicated his intention to retire from international football after missing a penalty in Argentina’s Copa America final shootout defeat to Chile last month.

And Ancelotti, who has replaced Pep Guardiola as Bayern coach during the off-season, finds it hard to choose between the pair.

“I don’t know if Ronaldo is the best player in the world,” he said.

“Messi is still there as well. The two of them have been battling it out for the Ballon d’Or over the past six or seven years. I think their rivalry helps the two of them get the best out of themselves.”

Ancelotti wants to leave Bayern Munich legacy

The former Real Madrid boss cannot wait to get started at the Allianz Arena and hopes to match Giovanni Trapattoni, the club’s only previous Italian boss

New Bayern Munich head coach Carlo Ancelotti says he wants to build his own legacy at the Bundesliga champions.

The former Real Madrid boss pointed out he is the second Italian to take charge of the club after Giovanni Trapattoni and hopes to be remembered as fondly as his compatriot – a Bundesliga winner in 1996-97 – at the end of his own spell. 

Ancelotti was presented by Bayern on Monday after agreeing a three-year deal to replace Pep Guardiola, who has joined Manchester City.

He said: “I am the second Italian to take charge of the club after Giovanni Trapattoni – a legend. I hope that I also can leave a legacy here as he did. 

“I really love my job and we will try to do our best. I know that Bayern have had a fantastic history in the Bundesliga. They have won a lot of titles in a row and have a fantastic history in the Champions League. 

“We want to be competitive in all the competitions. A manager can control everything with the help of the club apart from the result unfortunately. If I could control the results I would be a magician, but I am only a manager.

“The Bundesliga is a really interesting championship to be in. With [Borussia] Dortmund and Wolfsburg, it is a competitive championship. What I like is the atmosphere that you can see every single time, at every match, in the stadium with no violence and this is a good image for football.”

#WelcomeCarlo ! pic.twitter.com/2MEkojzamp

— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) July 11, 2016

Ancelotti, 57, insists he is not feeling the pressure of taking over at Bayern due to his vast experience at the highest level. 

He continued: “A lot of people ask about the pressure. I have had the luck in my career to coach top, top teams – [AC] Milan, PSG, Chelsea, Juventus, Real Madrid.

“I know every top club wants to win, but honestly I don’t feel a lot of pressure because I am used to it.” 


GOALREAD MORE  | Ancelotti to continue Pep success


Ancelotti would not divulge any specifics regarding the futures of Mario Gotze and Mehdi Benatia, both of whom have been linked with departures.

The head coach said: “Like with Benatia, Gotze is still a Bayern player. I will train him and consider him while that is the case. 

“I spoke with him a month ago and we both gave our opinions but what we said will stay private. As long as he is a Bayern player I don’t have to think of other things.”

OFFICIAL: Southampton sign Bayern starlet Hojbjerg

The Danish midfielder, who becomes the Saints’ second signing of the summer, has signed a five-year deal at St Mary’s after four years with the German champions

Southampton have confirmed the signing of Danish midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg from Bayern Munich.

The 20-year-old, who spent last season on loan at Schalke, has signed a five-year deal and becomes the Saints’ second acquisition of the summer after Nathan Redmond.

Hojbjerg joined Bayern as a teenager from Brondby in 2012 and made 17 appearances in the Bundesliga for their senior team.

“I’m very pleased,” Hojbjerg told the club’s official website. “It’s a big opportunity for me. I look forward to giving what I have and what I can to the club. They have put trust in me and I want to show them that they are not wrong.

“When I heard that Southampton came in for me I said to my people that this is what I want to do because I can see myself at Southampton, as it’s the way I like to think, the way I like to play and it fits me really well. 

“I hope I can come here also and be a part of the Southampton family and give what I have to fight for the club and fight for my teammates.”

Southampton director of football Les Reed believes the signing of Hojbjerg gives his club the best group of midfielders in the Premier League.


GOALREAD MORE  | OFFICIAL: Pelle moves to China


“Pierre is an exciting young talent, who we are delighted to welcome to Southampton Football Club,” Reed said.

“At the age of just 20, he is already an established international player with Denmark and has gained significant and valuable experience while at Bayern Munich and in the Bundesliga.

“Pierre boasts an impressive pedigree, as well as a great deal of potential, and it is testament to our reputation that he has chosen Southampton ahead of other suitors as the next step in his career.

“We believe the club will be an ideal place for Pierre to continue his progression and that he will be an excellent addition to our squad.

“We now have the perfect blend of positional strength, experience and dynamic youth in our midfield slots. There will be healthy competition, but also the required depth and robustness for our challenge in the Europa League.

“I believe as a group we probably have a choice from the best pool of midfield options in the Premier League.”

No imminent exit for Gotze but Bayern open to more signings

There are no talks over a potential exit from Die Roten for the midfielder, while the Bayern chief is open to new additions ahead of the new Bundesliga season

Bayern Munich executive chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge would be open to further signings ahead of the 2016-17 season, while there has been no movement on the potential departure of Mario Gotze.

The Bundesliga champions got their most important transfer business out of the way in May, signing Mats Hummels from Borussia Dortmund and Renato Sanches from Benfica.

While there is nothing imminent in terms of other additions, Rummenigge would not rule anything out before the end of the transfer window.

“I would not shut the door on new players coming in, today is July 10 and the window is open until August 31,” said the Bayern chief at the presentation of new head coach Carlo Ancelotti.

“Two years ago we had problems as [Javi] Martinez injured himself in the Super Cup so we had to look for new players.

“Nothing is planned, as for whether we will plan something big I don’t think it is good for us if we put our cards on the table here.


GOALREAD MORE  | RE-LIVE: Watch Ancelotti’s Bayern Munich unveiling!


“We made some suggestions on the areas we could improve on, they were a central defender [Hummels] and a midfielder with the characteristics that Renato Sanches has and we are pleased that we got both.

“They are very good players, you could see that in the Euros. They are two players that will be very good for us.”

Going the other way, midfielder Pierre Hojbjerg will undergo a medical with Southampton on Monday ahead of an expected move.

Gotze is another player to have been linked to an exit from the Allianz Arena, with Liverpool, Tottenham and his former club Borussia Dortmund all reported to be taking an interest.

But the Germany international said in May that he was looking forward to the new campaign with Bayern, and Rummenigge stated there are no current talks about him leaving.

“Pierre-Emile has gone to Southampton for a medical, it was his wish to go to a club where he will be a first-team player. The discussions with his agent are going very well,” continued the chairman.

“As for other players that might leave the club, nothing is happening at the moment.”

Sporting director Matthias Sammer left the club on Sunday, three months after being diagnosed with a brain illness.

Rummenigge stated suffering a small stroke changed Sammer’s outlook, but there are no imminent plans to replace him with technical director Michael Reschke.

“I had a long discussions with Matthias and I discovered quite quickly that he wants to end the chapter with Bayern Munich,” he said.

“He had a slight stroke in April and he has not been really carrying out his job as such since then. I had a lot of discussions with him. This stroke has changed his whole outlook on life.

“He always worked 24 hours a day and he had to actually think about his life, which he didn’t do before. Because of this sad event he has a new viewpoint on life.

“We will continue with things as they are now as we have in the last three months because Matthias has not really been working due to his illness so we have been spreading this over a few people.

“We will continue and then analyse the situation in the next few weeks. We need Reschke in the role he does, scouting for us where he is very instrumental.

“He played a role in getting [Joshua] Kimmich, [Kingsley] Coman, Sanches – Bayern need him in the role he is absolutely excellent at, so we don’t want to rotate that now.”

'I'm not here for a revolution' – Ancelotti looking to continue Guardiola's success at Bayern

The former Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid manager insists his immediate priority at the Bavarian club is building on the good work of the previous head coach

New Bayern Munich boss Carlo Ancelotti says he will not be starting a revolution at the club and wants to continue the success of Pep Guardiola.

The former Real Madrid head coach has taken over at the Allianz Arena on a three-year contract after the Catalan’s decision to join Manchester City and was presented as he started his new role on Monday.

Bayern have won four straight Bundesliga titles, including three during Guardiola’s reign, and Ancelotti is not keen on overhauling the set-up given the winning formula that has existed in recent seasons.

“I think my friend Guardiola has done some great work in the last few years,” he said. “I have to take into consideration the characteristics of the players, but I am not here to do a revolution.

“The job Guardiola did here was fantastic and I would like to follow this style.

“The style I know very well that Bayern Munich want to play attacking football. I love to play attacking football, I have a fantastic squad and I am really happy with this.

“I don’t think the style of play is going to change a lot from the last year. The players are more or less the same and the system will be too. 

“We have signed fantastic players this season and we will try to do our best – this is our goal.

“Bayern Munich are one of the best teams, best clubs in the world. They have a fantastic tradition and history of football and I would like to follow this line.”

#Rummenigge: “I’d like to begin by offering Carlo a very warm welcome to #FCBayern.” #WelcomeCarlo pic.twitter.com/oZBFlTJk2Z

— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) July 11, 2016

With Portugal’s teenage star Renato Sanches already signed from Benfica and Mats Hummels brought in from Borussia Dortmund, Ancelotti is not anticipating any further imminent additions to his squad.

He continued: “I think the squad is really good. We are not talking with the club about new signings because we are really happy.

“Of course the market is open until August 31 and everything can happen, but I have to speak now about the players that are at Bayern.”